Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Pops Day....

All day, I have seen posts from people talking about and honoring their fathers. Throwback pictures from years ago, matched with a heartfelt message, elaborating on the qualities of what makes their dad special. And it got me thinking.

What makes a father a dad?

Sure, it may be their uncanny ability to spew a corny joke on queue (is there like a dad-joke database out there that us non-dad's don't know about?), or maybe even the way they take such pride in teaching their children a sport, a trade, or a hobby. While thinking about these qualities, as well as a father's bravery, their supportive nature, and their love, it brought me back to a story about my own dad, Mark.

Years ago, back when I had recently graduate from "floaties" in the pool, I was swimming playing my favorite game of finding coins in the pool (the struggle of being an only child, but I digress). I remember having my back to the pool and throwing dimes and pennies behind my head, so that I wouldn't be able to see where they went. My dad wasn't far away, taking the opportunity of great weather to mow the grass.

One dime, plop. Two pennies, plop plop. 

I pause and wait. Count to five (to let the coins sink). Slip on my goggles and skim the top of water, searching for the coins. I float at the surface of the water, slowly scanning the pool-floor for the coins.

And then, all of a sudden, splash.

My dad had jumped in right near me and lifted me up above the water. Frantic.

Are you okay? Mitch, are you okay?

Yeah, dad, I was just looking for the coins. 

We got out of the pool, as he took off his now water-damaged pager (yes, folks, I said years ago), to dry out his wallet and the money inside, and for him to try off his drenched khaki shorts and shoes that he was wearing while cutting the grass.

He didn't worry about the pager, or the wallet, or his clothes. He didn't give a second thought. All he thought was that I was drowning, floating near-motionless on the water. And all he wanted to go was get into that water as fast as possible to help me.

Isn't that kind of what a dad does? They don't worry about this or that, they just want to make sure their children are okay, and taken care of, and safe.

Thank you dad, for always being so supportive of who I am and what I want to do. We don't always see eye-to-eye on things, in fact, we probably see differently more than we do alike. However, I know that I can always count on you to jump in, no matter what, and make sure your boy is okay (and probably for one of those on-queue corny jokes, too.)

Love ya, Pops.


No comments:

Post a Comment